Celebrating our Founding and Leaders

The Mount Sinai Hospital was founded in 1852 as the Jews’ Hospital in the City of New York, but more than a century would pass before a school of medicine was created at Mount Sinai. The Mount Sinai School of Medicine opened in 1968 in affiliation with The City University of New York. In building the medical school, trustees envisioned a new kind of medical institution—a university of the health sciences. This new institution would encompass a medical school supported by a strong teaching hospital, a graduate school of biological sciences, a graduate school of physical sciences, and undergraduate programs for allied health workers.

The first class in the newly formed Mount Sinai School of Medicine consisted of 36 students, four of whom were women. There were also 23 students in a third year class and 19 students in the Graduate School of Biological Sciences. As we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the first four-year graduating class, we look back at some of the visionary leaders who helped mold this pioneering medical school into the center of excellence in science, medicine and compassionate care that it is today.