Coursera CME Course at the Mount Sinai Health System
Thursday, December 17, 2015
Posted by: Andrew Law
We are pleased to announce that the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery has launched the first course designed for Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits at the Mount Sinai Health System on the Coursera massive open online course (MOOC) platform, www.Coursera.com.
This project, developed by Academic Informatics and Technology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in collaboration with the office of CME, marks the launch of one of the first courses on Coursera offering CME credits in the United States. Hosted by instructor Satish Govindaraj, MD, Associate Professor of Otolaryngology and Neurosurgery and Chief of the Division of Rhinology and Skull Base Surgery at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, the course is titled “Acute and Chronic Rhinosinusitis: A Comprehensive Review” and can be found here.
The primary objective of the course is to provide participants with a thorough understanding of how to better diagnose and treat patients who suffer from acute and chronic rhinosinusitis. The course is also designed to inform primary care physicians, general otolaryngologists, and pulmonologists with a clinical interest in the association of asthma and rhinosinusitis about the differences between acute and chronic rhinosinusitis. It is also applicable to nurses and health care professionals who wish to broaden their knowledge and vernacular about this disease process. We strongly urge interested parties to enroll in this course, especially physicians who need additional CME credits for the year.
The course has been partitioned into four modules:
· Module 1: Normal Sinus Anatomy and Function (15 minutes + quiz)
· Module 2: Acute Rhinosinusitis: Diagnosis and Treatment (17 minutes + quiz)
· Module 3: Chronic Rhinosinusitis: Diagnosis and Treatment (18 minutes + quiz)
· Module 4: The Role of Surgery for Sinusitis (36 minutes + quiz)
Participants may take the course at no cost, pay $49 for the official Coursera Certificate, or pay a total cost of $79 ($49 + $30) for the Coursera Certificate and CME credit.
Physicians participating in this course have the option to receive 1.75 CME credits after successfully completing the course and obtaining a Coursera Certificate. All quizzes must be completed and participants must obtain a score of 70 percent or higher.
How to Take the Coursera Course
For those who are not familiar with the Coursera online learning platform, please review the following guidelines to complete the course and obtain credentials:
- Select the “Acute and Chronic Rhinosinusitis: A Comprehensive Review” course and enroll in the course
- Complete the Signature Track to receive the Coursera Certificate if interested in doing so (details follow after enrolling in the course)
- Begin the course by clicking on “Course Content” and selecting the module you wish to take (this can be done all at once, or parceled by module on different days), and complete the quizzes at the end of each module
- For those interested in receiving CME credits, complete the registration process at this page: http://mshs.co/SUxzr
- Email an attached copy of your Coursera Verified Certificate with subject line “Coursera CME” to firstname.lastname@example.org to request your CME certificate
For questions about obtaining CME credit for this course, please contact the CME office at 212-731-7950 or email@example.com. For inquiries about developing a course for your department on Coursera, please contact Paul Lawrence, Vice President and Associate Dean of Academic Information Technology, at firstname.lastname@example.org.